Friday, July 25, 2008

A recurring epidemic

I have a relatively serious and probably unanswerable question:

How in the world does an adult human logically justify looking down on someone because of their skin color or what language they speak? What has to happen in a person's brain (stroke? acid flashback?) for them to see a complete stranger and determine them unworthy for basic kindness? Judging someone or something based on skin pigment is just the most ridiculous thing I've ever encountered.

Now, I personally know people of all races who make me want to stick forks in their eyes on a daily basis - but that's because they're douche bags, not because they're soft outer layer is a certain color. There is no color when it comes to douche bags.

I recently had a conversation with a relatively intelligent woman in her 50's, concerning a house that I'm looking into. After revealing the location (which is great, by the way) she said, "Isn't that in Shantytown?"

"Shantytown? What are you talking about?"

"You know," she answered, "where all the black people live in those run down houses. I wouldn't live there if you paid me."

And I was completely flabbergasted. This woman preaches incessantly about how she loves everybody, no matter what race or sexual-orientation they may be. Yet, driving by a house with a black gentleman working in his yard sends her right back into the 1950's, when people were afraid of other people based on COLOR. NOTHING.

You know, I know a lot of really awful men. Is it fair for me to then lump all men into the same category and declare them evil and not to be associated with? No, it would not be fair. But I guarantee you that a man spewing race hate would become transformed into the indignant victim if I did. The concept of not blaming a group for the sins of others in that group is lost on so many people, and it really saddens me. Especially when I see wonderful people taking it in the chin day after day after day, without so much as a flinch.

People, go find the nearest child and talk to him or her about how fantastic this world is BECAUSE we get to experience diversity. Teach them compassion and love for humankind.

Except for the douche bags.

No comments: